Jun 8, 2010, 8:20 PM EDT
Just a few hours before Stephen Strasburg steps onto the field at Nationals Park for his big-league debut, that other No. 1 draft pick held a conference call with us beat writers.
Bryce Harper didn't have a ton of enlightening things to say. Much like Strasburg last year at this time, Harper has been well-coached by agent Scott Boras (who's here at the park today, by the way) to talk his way around anything remotely controversial.
So Harper had nothing really to say about: 1) When or if he'll be signing with the Nats, 2) How he feels about moving to right field, or 3) How soon he believes he can reach the major leagues.
He did, however, acknowledge that he's fine getting rid of the eye black/war paint look. And he will try to catch some of tonight's game on TV, though he'll be flying home from Orange County to Las Vegas during part of the proceedings.
(My take: Like Strasburg, this doesn't sound like a kid who expects to be playing any baseball before Aug. 15.)
Here's the best of the rest from the Nats' newest top draft pick…
On playing right field: "I'm pretty excited. I played right field a couple times with [Team] USA and the College of Southern Nevada. I'm pretty stoked about that. But wherever they need me, I'll play. I don't really care. It's just a great fit right now, and I can't wait to getRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"