Jun 8, 2010, 8:20 PM EST
Just a few hours before Stephen Strasburg steps onto the field at Nationals Park for his big-league debut, that other No. 1 draft pick held a conference call with us beat writers.
Bryce Harper didn't have a ton of enlightening things to say. Much like Strasburg last year at this time, Harper has been well-coached by agent Scott Boras (who's here at the park today, by the way) to talk his way around anything remotely controversial.
So Harper had nothing really to say about: 1) When or if he'll be signing with the Nats, 2) How he feels about moving to right field, or 3) How soon he believes he can reach the major leagues.
He did, however, acknowledge that he's fine getting rid of the eye black/war paint look. And he will try to catch some of tonight's game on TV, though he'll be flying home from Orange County to Las Vegas during part of the proceedings.
(My take: Like Strasburg, this doesn't sound like a kid who expects to be playing any baseball before Aug. 15.)
Here's the best of the rest from the Nats' newest top draft pick…
On playing right field: "I'm pretty excited. I played right field a couple times with [Team] USA and the College of Southern Nevada. I'm pretty stoked about that. But wherever they need me, I'll play. I don't really care. It's just a great fit right now, and I can't wait to getRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'