Jun 8, 2010, 4:14 PM EST
Yesterday's first-round of the MLB draft got plenty of attention, and deservedly so. The Nationals picked a potential difference-maker in Bryce Harper with the No. 1 pick and received tons of good press for it.
The real draft, though, begins today, with rounds 2 through 30 speeding along at a breakneck pace. Teams only get one minute per selection, so the action is fast and furious and there's little time for debate.
I'll do my best to update this with each of the Nats' Day 2 picks, beginning with the first selection in the second round, so please check back here throughout the day for details…
2. Sammy Solis, LHP, University of San Diego
Solis is a classic left-hander in that he doesn't have dominating "stuff" but he seems to get by with pitching guile. After missing most of 2009 with a herniated disc, Solis came back strong this season for the Toreros, going 9-2 with a 3.42 ERA. A 6-foot-5 native of suburban Phoenix, Solis throws his fastball around 90 mph and has a sharp-breaking curve/slider hybrid. Nationals front office executives, including Mike Rizzo and Bob Boone, saw him pitch in person two weeks ago while the Nats were playing in San Diego and came away impressed.
3. Rick Hague, SS, Rice University
A 21-year-old Texas native, Hague put up big numbers in his junior year at Rice, hitting .340 with 15 homers, 55 RBI and a .591 slugging percentage. He did commit a whopping 23 errors in 62 games atRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?