Jun 8, 2010, 10:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
A standing-room only crowd files into Nationals Park.
After all the hype, the anticipation, the circus-like atmosphere, the moment has finally arrived.
As I type this, Stephen Strasburg is playing catch in right field. He'll be heading into the bullpen shortly to begin his full warm-ups. And then we're off and running, and Strasburg is no longer about hype but actual, on-field results in the major leagues.
This stadium has been buzzing since mid-afternoon. The press box is packed to the gills. The entryway to the center-field gates is backed up onto Half Street. Clint is interviewing Ken Burns on the Jumbotron. What has this world come to?
All I can say is, enjoy this for what it is: A once-in-a-lifetime event, taking place right here in our town and in our ballpark. I don't know how it's all going to end up by night's end, but I think one way or the other, we'll be talking about this one for years to come.
Check back for updates throughout, and if you're awake early tomorrow morning, be sure to tune in to ESPN 980. I'll be co-hosting a two-hour, post-Strasburg special show with Andy Pollin from 6-8 a.m. (assuming I can stay awake). Should be fun…
PIRATES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2-HD, MLB Network (outside D.C./Pittsburgh)
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 77 degrees, Wind 8 mph LF to RF
2B Cristian Guzman
CF Nyjer Morgan
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury