Jun 9, 2010, 4:47 PM EDT
There are going to no shortage of ways everyone will look back at last night's festivities as a watershed moment in Nationals history, but here's perhaps the best evidence of how significant it was…
MASN broke its all-time record rating for a Nats game. Actually, that's not true. MASN absolutely obliterated its all-time record rating for a Nats game. According to the network, last night earned a 7.1 household rating, meaning more than 165,000 households in the Washington region had the station on.
That's about 700 percent higher than the average rating for a Nats game this season. The previous record high rating for a Nats game on MASN? 2.0 for a game against the Mets this May. There's no comparison.
Dan Steinberg over at the D.C. Sports Bog provided some more nice context, pointing out that only Capitals game on Comcast SportsNet ever got a higher rating than that (Game 7 against the Canadiens this year, which got an 8.1). The previous high for them was 5.8.
The Caps, of course, are the hottest team in town these days. And the Nats obviously aren't going to sustain those numbers. Tonight's game on MASN2 will surely be back down at the old levels, though perhaps there will be a slight uptick. The real test will be what the ratings are Sunday when Strasburg makes his next start in Cleveland. (And FYI: Jim Riggleman confirmed on the radio today that Strasburg will stay on a five-DAY rotation, not a five-GAME rotation until theRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'