Jun 10, 2010, 4:04 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps has participated in this scene 20 times already this season.
It's easy to forget this right now, because he's been one of the best closers in baseball the last two months, but Matt Capps was dumped by the Pirates in December.
Thrown out with the trash. Kicked to the curb. Non-tendered by a franchise that hasn't been good enough to play a meaningful baseball game since Barry Bonds tried to throw out Sid Bream in the 1992 NLCS.
All Capps has done since is post a major-league-leading 20 saves, closing out an astounding 69 percent of the Nationals' victories so far this year. (The record for such things, by the way, is 70.3 percent — 45 of 64 — by Brian Harvey of the expansion 1993 Marlins.)
"It's a good feeling," Capps said. "But it's one of those stats that it's not even possible without the right team. All of these guys have played great, they've given me lots of opportunities. It's nice to have 20, but it would been even better to have 23 or 24."
In pitching the ninth the last two nights to secure wins both for Stephen Strasburg and Drew Storen, Capps has added to his overall total as well as toppled the club that dumped him twice in a span of 25 hours.
"They're all nice," the soft-spoken right-hander said. "But to able to go out and get two against a team that didn't want you any more and show them you're still capable of doing your job, it's got a little extraRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB