Jun 10, 2010, 4:04 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps has participated in this scene 20 times already this season.
It's easy to forget this right now, because he's been one of the best closers in baseball the last two months, but Matt Capps was dumped by the Pirates in December.
Thrown out with the trash. Kicked to the curb. Non-tendered by a franchise that hasn't been good enough to play a meaningful baseball game since Barry Bonds tried to throw out Sid Bream in the 1992 NLCS.
All Capps has done since is post a major-league-leading 20 saves, closing out an astounding 69 percent of the Nationals' victories so far this year. (The record for such things, by the way, is 70.3 percent — 45 of 64 — by Brian Harvey of the expansion 1993 Marlins.)
"It's a good feeling," Capps said. "But it's one of those stats that it's not even possible without the right team. All of these guys have played great, they've given me lots of opportunities. It's nice to have 20, but it would been even better to have 23 or 24."
In pitching the ninth the last two nights to secure wins both for Stephen Strasburg and Drew Storen, Capps has added to his overall total as well as toppled the club that dumped him twice in a span of 25 hours.
"They're all nice," the soft-spoken right-hander said. "But to able to go out and get two against a team that didn't want you any more and show them you're still capable of doing your job, it's got a little extraRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats