Jun 12, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
J.D. Martin faces Fausto Carmona tonight at Progressive Field.
CLEVELAND — There was a time when J.D. Martin was a top pitching prospect for the Cleveland Indians. Martin, the 35th overall pick in the 2001 draft, always dreamed of starting a game on the mound at Progessive Field.
Nine years later, Martin will finally get the chance. Wearing a Nationals uniform.
Having never made it with the Indians, in part because of arm injuries, Martin caught on with Washington last season, made the first 15 starts of his big-league career and has since returned to make two more starts this year. Tonight, the 27-year-old right-hander returns to the mound, and this time he'll do it against his former franchise. (There's just all kinds of intriguing Nats-Indians history in this series, isn't there?)
Fausto Carmona, a 19-game winner in 2009 who has battled injuries and inconsistencies since then, starts for Cleveland.
Check back for updates throughout…
NATIONALS at INDIANS
Where: Progressive Field
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 83 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
SS Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes