Jun 12, 2010, 3:47 AM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
An All-Star Game in the District would undoubtedly be a major event.
CLEVELAND — Could the All-Star Game be coming to South Capitol Street in the near future? According to a report tonight, it may already be a done deal.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale posted on Twitter this evening that Bud Selig will announce next week that Kansas City will host the 2012 midsummer classic. Nightengale added that future All-Star games will be hosted by the Mets (2013), Twins (2014) and Nationals (2015), though Selig won’t make those announcements official until two years before each event takes place.
Team president Stan Kasten said he had not seen the report — “Don’t know anything about it,” he wrote in an email — but it’s no secret the Nationals have expressed interest in bringing the game to Washington since opening Nationals Park in 2008.
Major League Baseball has considered the District a strong candidate to host the All-Star Game, though the sport figured to award the event first to other NL cities that recently opened new ballparks (Philadelphia, Cincinnati, San Diego) while also waiting for the neighborhood around Nationals Park to blossom.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera