Jun 13, 2010, 10:37 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg points to the spot on the mound where was slipping all afternoon.
CLEVELAND — He issued five walks, served up a home run, battled problems with the pitching mound and departed after 5 1/3 innings. Rough day at the ballpark for Stephen Strasburg, huh?
Uh, not exactly. Strasburg did, after all, allow only one run on two hits, striking out eight Indians batters in his second big-league start. Most importantly, the rookie right-hander led his Nationals to a convincing 9-4 victory.
As you can read on CSNwashington.com, the ridiculously high standard Strasburg has set for himself makes outings like this seem pedestrian, even when they are plenty effective.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Observations from Sunday's 11-7 win in Viera
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A