Jun 13, 2010, 10:37 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg points to the spot on the mound where was slipping all afternoon.
CLEVELAND — He issued five walks, served up a home run, battled problems with the pitching mound and departed after 5 1/3 innings. Rough day at the ballpark for Stephen Strasburg, huh?
Uh, not exactly. Strasburg did, after all, allow only one run on two hits, striking out eight Indians batters in his second big-league start. Most importantly, the rookie right-hander led his Nationals to a convincing 9-4 victory.
As you can read on CSNwashington.com, the ridiculously high standard Strasburg has set for himself makes outings like this seem pedestrian, even when they are plenty effective.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle