Jun 13, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
All eyes were on Stephen Strasburg once again.
CLEVELAND — Drew Storen has been with Stephen Strasburg every step of the way. From the Arizona Fall League to spring training to Harrisburg to Syracuse to the big leagues, Storen has been Strasburg's teammate, sidekick and friend.
And today, the rookie reliever played a new role in Strasburg's life: The guy who bailed him out of a tight jam.
Make no mistake about it, Strasburg's performance against the Indians would have looked a lot less impressive had Storen not deftly pitched his way out of the sixth inning, stranding the bases loaded, preserving the Nationals' lead and saving the game for his good friend.
"I wouldn't say I saved it," Storen insisted. "But it was good to come into that tight spot. I enjoy that tight spot, and I was just glad to get out of it."
These two first-round draft picks — selected just nine spots from each other last summer — will always be linked, and that's a good thing. Strasburg gets all the attention and hype, but he's got very little personality and shies away from the spotlight. Storen, meanwhile, hasn't gotten nearly as much press but is perfectly comfortable in front of cameras and reporters.
Together, they're bringing plenty of positive news to a Nationals organization that used to serve as baseball's punching bag but now is among the sport's best stories.
In the last five days, baseball fans around the country have gotten to know not only Strasburg, but Storen, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, Josh Willingham and Ian Desmond. And they've all taken advantage of the attention and put together impressive performances at the rightRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals