Jun 14, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen entered a tight spot in the sixth inning and bailed out Stephen Strasburg.
CLEVELAND — The Nationals couldn't really have asked for Stephen Strasburg to pitch any better in his first two big-league starts. I mean, 2-0 with a 2.19 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings … you'll that, right?
Well, I've got news for you. As good as Strasburg has been so far, Drew Storen has been even better.
Check out the fellow first-round pick's numbers through 12 relief appearances: 2-0, 1.54 ERA, three holds. And, his most impressive stat: 12 baserunners inherited, 12 baserunners stranded.
In only three weeks in the majors, Storen has already been thrust into some tight spots. Perhaps none, though, was as tight as yesterday's appearance, when he was summoned to replace Strasburg with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth inning of what was then a 6-1 ballgame. Storen proceeded to get Russell Branyan to pop out, then struck out Jhonny Peralta to kill the rally and preserve the lead.
Strasburg, who has teamed up with Storen every step of the way since signing late last summer, was hardly surprised with the performance.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins