Jun 14, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Drew Storen entered a tight spot in the sixth inning and bailed out Stephen Strasburg.
CLEVELAND — The Nationals couldn't really have asked for Stephen Strasburg to pitch any better in his first two big-league starts. I mean, 2-0 with a 2.19 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 12 1/3 innings … you'll that, right?
Well, I've got news for you. As good as Strasburg has been so far, Drew Storen has been even better.
Check out the fellow first-round pick's numbers through 12 relief appearances: 2-0, 1.54 ERA, three holds. And, his most impressive stat: 12 baserunners inherited, 12 baserunners stranded.
In only three weeks in the majors, Storen has already been thrust into some tight spots. Perhaps none, though, was as tight as yesterday's appearance, when he was summoned to replace Strasburg with the bases loaded and one out in the sixth inning of what was then a 6-1 ballgame. Storen proceeded to get Russell Branyan to pop out, then struck out Jhonny Peralta to kill the rally and preserve the lead.
Strasburg, who has teamed up with Storen every step of the way since signing late last summer, was hardly surprised with the performance.Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper is going to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond