Jun 15, 2010, 8:02 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Comerica Park, home of the Tigers, with downtown Detroit in the background.
DETROIT — Good afternoon from Motown, a city with a proud baseball tradition that has already been at the center of plenty of news this season. Armando Galarraga's should-have-been perfect game. Ernie Harwell's passing. Dontrelle Willis' trade.
In the middle of it all is a pretty good Tigers team that currently sits at 33-29 and sends an intriguing young right-hander to the mound tonight in Max Scherzer. Picked up from the Diamondbacks in the three-way Curtis Granderson trade that included the Yankees, Scherzer is only 2-6 with a 6.30 ERA but since returning from a minor-league stint has looked much better. He struck out 14 Oakland A's in only 5 2/3 innings in his first start back in the majors. (Hmm, sound like anyone we know?)
The Nationals counter with John Lannan, who is coming off a rough outing (five runs, 10 hits in 4 2/3 innings against the Pirates) but has overall pitched well since overcoming his elbow/forearm issue.
No Stephen Strasburg in this series, but that doesn't mean he's out of the spotlight entirely. Sports Illustrated revealed today that he's on the cover of this week's issue. If he gets hammered by the White Sox Friday night, you'll know who to blame.
Check back for updates throughout…
NATIONALS at TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 13 mph in from CF
2B Cristian Guzman
CF Nyjer Morgan
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Adam Dunn
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will 2015 be a breakout year for Nats' RF Harper?
- Werth shooting for opener but will be cautious
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals