Jun 15, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez has been a calming influence for Stephen Strasburg.
DETROIT — Much has been made about Ivan Rodriguez's role in Stephen Strasburg's fabulous first week in the majors, and it's a valid point. Pudge has been a valuable asset for the rookie right-hander, who has simply followed his lead while out on the mound and trusted the 20-year veteran to call a proper game.
Rodriguez's importance, though, extends beyond Strasburg. His return from the disabled list last week has had a dramatic effect on the club's fortunes, and that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
In four games since coming back from a lower back strain, Pudge is batting .438 (7-for-16) with three doubles, three RBI and 1.096 OPS. His batting average is up to .338, and his 12 doubles rank third on the club, even though he's gotten about two-thirds of the at-bats as most other regulars.
The Nationals, meanwhile, have won three of four games since Rodriguez returned.
Contrast that with the their performance during Pudge's DL stint, when the Nats went 5-9. Wil Nieves doesn't have a hit in his last 19 at-bats, and the Nationals are 2-7 in the last nine games he's startedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game