Jun 16, 2010, 7:33 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats have their work cut out for them tonight against Justin Verlander.
DETROIT — The Nationals have faced their share of top pitchers this season. Roy Halladay. Johan Santana. Roy Oswalt. Tim Lincecum. Josh Johnson. Ubaldo Jimenez. Chris Carpenter.
Tonight, another big name is added to the list: Justin Verlander, the Tigers' flamethrower from just outside Richmond who has established himself as one of the best young right-handers in the game. In 4 1/2 seasons in Detroit, the 27-year-old is already 72-47 with a 3.89 ERA. He owns a no-hitter, a Rookie of the Year award, two All-Star Game appearances, a 19-win season and a 269-strikeout season.
Oh, and like a certain Nationals rookie, he regularly tops 100 mph on the radar gun.
Not exactly the kind of opposing pitcher the Nats want to face when needing a win. Unfortunately, this is the scenario they've left themselves in after losing last night 7-4 in a very winnable game. They had Max Scherzer on the ropes but went silent at the plate the final five innings. And they couldn't overcome John Lannan's ragged start.
So Jim Riggleman will try a little different lineup tonight. As promised, Josh Willingham gets a scheduled night off. Willie Harris is in left field, with Michael Morse DH'ing.
Check back for updates throughout…
NATIONALS at TIGERS
Where: Comerica Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Mostly sunny, 77 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to LF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
1B Adam Dunn
3B Ryan Zimmerman
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies