Jun 16, 2010, 3:30 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan's ERA skyrocketed to 5.45 after tonight's shoddy start.
DETROIT — If you're frustrated by John Lannan's performances these days, you should know that the left-hander is right there with you. Even more so.
This season is driving Lannan crazy. He'll look terrible one night on the mound, then look great several starts in a row. He'll deal with a sore elbow for a week, then rebound to throw his best outing in months, only to string together the worst back-to-back starts of his career.
"Of course it's frustrating," he said tonight after getting shelled by the Tigers for seven runs in 4 1/3 innings. "But I'm not going to stop. I'm not just going to roll over. It's just a part of my career where I'm getting knocked down and things aren't going my way. I'm not making pitches. I've got to battle through it. That's all I can do."
So what's the problem? Plain and simple, Lannan can't get his sinker to sink. It's his bread-and-butter pitch, the one that allows him to get away with stuff that doesn't reach 90 mph but has so much downward movement that hitters have no choice but to rap the ball into the ground and mutter all the way down the first-base line.
Without that pitch, Lannan is nothing, as we found out tonight at Comerica Park.Read more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'