Jun 16, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
DETROIT — John Lannan thinks he knows why he's been struggling his last few times on the mound: He's overcompensating in an attempt not to suffer a recurrence of the elbow pain that hampered him last month.
Lannan, who was roughed up by the Tigers last night for seven runs and 10 hits in only 4 1/3 innings, said afterward he wasn't able to get his sinker (his bread-and-butter pitch) to sink. He insisted his arm felt fine and wasn't at all bothering him like it did earlier this season, but he couldn't find a mechanical flaw either.
After watching some video with pitching coach Steve McCatty today, though, the left-hander thinks he's figured it out. He believes he's not bending his elbow as much as he should while releasing the ball, subconsciously afraid he might re-injure himself. Instead, his left arm remains straight as he pitches, not allowing him to "turn over" the ball and make it sink the way he always has.
"I don't know why I started doing it, or when I started doing it," he said. "But I think I'm overcompensating for the elbow."
Lannan believes the fix should be simple, though it's going to be moreRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Braves, extend losing skid to six
- Nats fume at Simmons for injuring Escobar
- Cole debuting Tuesday in place of Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers