Jun 16, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
DETROIT — John Lannan thinks he knows why he's been struggling his last few times on the mound: He's overcompensating in an attempt not to suffer a recurrence of the elbow pain that hampered him last month.
Lannan, who was roughed up by the Tigers last night for seven runs and 10 hits in only 4 1/3 innings, said afterward he wasn't able to get his sinker (his bread-and-butter pitch) to sink. He insisted his arm felt fine and wasn't at all bothering him like it did earlier this season, but he couldn't find a mechanical flaw either.
After watching some video with pitching coach Steve McCatty today, though, the left-hander thinks he's figured it out. He believes he's not bending his elbow as much as he should while releasing the ball, subconsciously afraid he might re-injure himself. Instead, his left arm remains straight as he pitches, not allowing him to "turn over" the ball and make it sink the way he always has.
"I don't know why I started doing it, or when I started doing it," he said. "But I think I'm overcompensating for the elbow."
Lannan believes the fix should be simple, though it's going to be moreRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels