Jun 16, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
DETROIT — John Lannan thinks he knows why he's been struggling his last few times on the mound: He's overcompensating in an attempt not to suffer a recurrence of the elbow pain that hampered him last month.
Lannan, who was roughed up by the Tigers last night for seven runs and 10 hits in only 4 1/3 innings, said afterward he wasn't able to get his sinker (his bread-and-butter pitch) to sink. He insisted his arm felt fine and wasn't at all bothering him like it did earlier this season, but he couldn't find a mechanical flaw either.
After watching some video with pitching coach Steve McCatty today, though, the left-hander thinks he's figured it out. He believes he's not bending his elbow as much as he should while releasing the ball, subconsciously afraid he might re-injure himself. Instead, his left arm remains straight as he pitches, not allowing him to "turn over" the ball and make it sink the way he always has.
"I don't know why I started doing it, or when I started doing it," he said. "But I think I'm overcompensating for the elbow."
Lannan believes the fix should be simple, though it's going to be moreRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order