Jun 16, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
DETROIT — John Lannan thinks he knows why he's been struggling his last few times on the mound: He's overcompensating in an attempt not to suffer a recurrence of the elbow pain that hampered him last month.
Lannan, who was roughed up by the Tigers last night for seven runs and 10 hits in only 4 1/3 innings, said afterward he wasn't able to get his sinker (his bread-and-butter pitch) to sink. He insisted his arm felt fine and wasn't at all bothering him like it did earlier this season, but he couldn't find a mechanical flaw either.
After watching some video with pitching coach Steve McCatty today, though, the left-hander thinks he's figured it out. He believes he's not bending his elbow as much as he should while releasing the ball, subconsciously afraid he might re-injure himself. Instead, his left arm remains straight as he pitches, not allowing him to "turn over" the ball and make it sink the way he always has.
"I don't know why I started doing it, or when I started doing it," he said. "But I think I'm overcompensating for the elbow."
Lannan believes the fix should be simple, though it's going to be moreRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals DFA speedy outfield prospect
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer