Jun 17, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
DETROIT — Twice, the Nationals have handed Stephen Strasburg the ball in the midst of a losing streak and asked the rookie right-hander to stop the bleeding. And he’s done it.
Tomorrow night, the Nats will once again Strasburg to play the roll of stopper. After getting swept by the Tigers, they head home stuck in their worst funk of the season, needing a 21-year-old with 10 days of big-league experience to get them back on the winning track again.
“That’s what happens when he’s the best we’ve got right now,” Adam Dunn said after today’s 8-3 loss. “We need him to go out and pitch like he’s been pitching. That’s why he’s up here: To give us a chance to win.”
Read about Strasburg’s approach heading into tomorrow night’s start against the White Sox on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured