Jun 17, 2010, 8:55 PM EDT
DETROIT — Twice, the Nationals have handed Stephen Strasburg the ball in the midst of a losing streak and asked the rookie right-hander to stop the bleeding. And he’s done it.
Tomorrow night, the Nats will once again Strasburg to play the roll of stopper. After getting swept by the Tigers, they head home stuck in their worst funk of the season, needing a 21-year-old with 10 days of big-league experience to get them back on the winning track again.
“That’s what happens when he’s the best we’ve got right now,” Adam Dunn said after today’s 8-3 loss. “We need him to go out and pitch like he’s been pitching. That’s why he’s up here: To give us a chance to win.”
Read about Strasburg’s approach heading into tomorrow night’s start against the White Sox on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants