Jun 18, 2010, 9:49 PM EST
[UPDATE AT 7:15 P.M. — Obama is indeed here. He's sitting in the owner's suite behind Section 208 on the club level, third-base line. Got here in the bottom of the first.]
Two people already sighted at Nationals Park so far today: Jordan Zimmermann and Jason Marquis.
One more person who could be here before the night's over: Barack Obama.
Rumors are flying around the ballpark that the President of the United States will be attending this game. Obama, of course, is a big White Sox fan. We'll have to see whether he gets to his feet every time Stephen Strasburg gets two strikes on a batter. Shoot, everyone else will. He can't be the only one sitting, can he?
As for Zimmermann and Marquis, they were both here to get some afternoon work done in front of the big-league coaching staff.
Zimmermann pitched two "innings" of a simulated game this afternoon, throwing a total of 35 pitches. They didn't have a radar gun on him today, but he was recently clocked at 94 mph in Viera, and pitching coach Steve McCatty said he "was throwing good."
Jim Riggleman said once Zimmermann is healthy and has completed his minor-league rehab, he'll be placed in the big-league rotation. No relief duties. Though the right-hander is ahead of schedule in his rehab, the Nats continue to insist they won't rush him back. He's stillRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1