Jun 18, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
[UPDATE AT 7:15 P.M. -- Obama is indeed here. He's sitting in the owner's suite behind Section 208 on the club level, third-base line. Got here in the bottom of the first.]
Two people already sighted at Nationals Park so far today: Jordan Zimmermann and Jason Marquis.
One more person who could be here before the night's over: Barack Obama.
Rumors are flying around the ballpark that the President of the United States will be attending this game. Obama, of course, is a big White Sox fan. We'll have to see whether he gets to his feet every time Stephen Strasburg gets two strikes on a batter. Shoot, everyone else will. He can't be the only one sitting, can he?
As for Zimmermann and Marquis, they were both here to get some afternoon work done in front of the big-league coaching staff.
Zimmermann pitched two "innings" of a simulated game this afternoon, throwing a total of 35 pitches. They didn't have a radar gun on him today, but he was recently clocked at 94 mph in Viera, and pitching coach Steve McCatty said he "was throwing good."
Jim Riggleman said once Zimmermann is healthy and has completed his minor-league rehab, he'll be placed in the big-league rotation. No relief duties. Though the right-hander is ahead of schedule in his rehab, the Nats continue to insist they won't rush him back. He's stillRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals grind their way to walk-off victory
- Former Nats catcher Chris Snyder retires from MLB
- Bryce Harper's 'nothing but hustle' Nats magazine (PHOTO)
- Espinosa making most of his playing opportunity
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals