Jun 18, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
[UPDATE AT 7:15 P.M. — Obama is indeed here. He's sitting in the owner's suite behind Section 208 on the club level, third-base line. Got here in the bottom of the first.]
Two people already sighted at Nationals Park so far today: Jordan Zimmermann and Jason Marquis.
One more person who could be here before the night's over: Barack Obama.
Rumors are flying around the ballpark that the President of the United States will be attending this game. Obama, of course, is a big White Sox fan. We'll have to see whether he gets to his feet every time Stephen Strasburg gets two strikes on a batter. Shoot, everyone else will. He can't be the only one sitting, can he?
As for Zimmermann and Marquis, they were both here to get some afternoon work done in front of the big-league coaching staff.
Zimmermann pitched two "innings" of a simulated game this afternoon, throwing a total of 35 pitches. They didn't have a radar gun on him today, but he was recently clocked at 94 mph in Viera, and pitching coach Steve McCatty said he "was throwing good."
Jim Riggleman said once Zimmermann is healthy and has completed his minor-league rehab, he'll be placed in the big-league rotation. No relief duties. Though the right-hander is ahead of schedule in his rehab, the Nats continue to insist they won't rush him back. He's stillRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates