Jun 21, 2010, 7:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After getting swept by the Tigers and White Sox, the Nats try to rebound against the Royals.
No one expected Livan Hernandez to carry a sub-2.00 ERA through the entire season, so the fact the veteran right-hander has come back to earth over the last few weeks is hardly a surprise.
That said, Hernandez's last outing for the Nationals — he was tagged by the Tigers for eight runs while issuing six walks — was way out of character. He hadn't allowed more than four runs in any of his previous 12 starts this season, and he hadn't walked that many batters in three years.
Livo has always been known for the occasional meltdown on the mound, and he's also always been known for bouncing back from those rough outings and getting back on track. Thus, the expectation tonight is that he will put together a strong performance against the Royals.
The Nats had better hope Hernandez does come through. They need a well-pitched game in the worst way. They also need an offensive outburst in the worst way. Put the two of those together, and they just might manage to snap a season-wost, six-game losing streak.
Check back for updates throughout…
ROYALS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WWFD-820 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 88 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
CF Nyjer Morgan
2B Cristian Guzman
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Adam Dunn
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees