Jun 22, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Craig Stammen nearly threw a no-hitter in his last start at Syracuse.
John Lannan's demotion to Class AA Harrisburg yesterday leaves the Nationals searching for another starting pitcher, one they believe will give this team a better chance to win right now than Lannan did.
But who will that pitcher be?
The Nats don't have to make the decision right away. Thanks to Thursday's scheduled off-day, they can get by with only four starters (keeping everyone on normal rest) for a little while. Luis Atilano goes tonight against the Royals, with Stephen Strasburg pitching tomorrow's series finale. J.D. Martin, Livan Hernandez and Atilano will start in Baltimore this weekend, and Strasburg will take his traveling rodeo to Atlanta on Monday.
So the Nationals won't need a fifth starter until one week from today (June 29) against the Braves. They'll go with an eight-man bullpen in the interim.
Once the time comes to make another move, Mike Rizzo appears to have three options: Craig Stammen, Matt Chico and Ross Detwiler. Let's take a closer look at all three…Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats fall to Braves, extend losing skid to six
- Escobar leaves Nats game with hand injury
- Cole debuting Tuesday in place of Scherzer
- Rendon scratched from minor league rehab game
- Marlins DFA former big free agent signing
- Nats hope lineup tweak will spark offense
- Cedeno on the move again, one week after Nats traded him
- State of the Nats: Looking up in the standings
- When will slow-developing bats come around?
- At 7-12, Nationals still searching for answers