Jun 23, 2010, 4:17 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Luis Atilano earned his sixth win with 5 1/3 strong innings.
Opportunities to sweep an opposing team shouldn't be wasted. Opportunities to sweep an opposing team behind the greatest pitching prospect in a generation simply can't be wasted.
The Nationals will take the field at steamy Nationals Park tomorrow afternoon riding a two-game winning streak, having twice beaten the Royals by a single run. Make no mistake: This will be as much of a must-win game for this team as any other this season.
Forget about trying to snap losing streaks or finishing a road trip on a high note. The Nats have the most-dominant pitcher in baseball outside of Ubaldo Jimenez on the mound tomorrow against one of the weakest opponents in the majors. This is where a good team goes for the jugular and puts the Royals out of their misery without ever giving them a chance.
The Nationals have tried their best the last two nights to give games away. Matt Capps pitched himself into a ninth-inning jam Monday night and he did it again tonight, somehow escaping without surrendering the tying run.
"It got a little hairy there at the end," Jim Riggleman said after a 4-1 lead turned into a 4-3 escape act. "But we'll take that."
Capps has danced with the devil often this season. But aside from one rough stretch three weeks ago, he's found a way to get the job done. Monday night, he put the tying and go-ahead runners on, then proceeded to strike out Yuniesky Betancourt and Mitch Maier inRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Observations from Sunday's 11-7 win in Viera
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A