Jun 24, 2010, 1:27 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg had to pitch with men on base all afternoon.
By the ridiculously lofty standards he’s established for himself over the last three weeks, Stephen Strasburg’s fourth career start today ranked as a disappointment. The Nationals phenom allowed nine hits over six innings to the unheralded Royals and was charged with his first major-league loss.
Then again, Strasburg still allowed only one run, didn’t walk a batter and struck out nine while setting yet another record for rookie pitchers.
Perhaps had the Nats simply scored a single run in support of Strasburg, this outing could be looked at in a totally different light. Instead, it went down as an incredibly frustrating 1-0 loss, the second time in five days the 21-year-old right-hander was done in by a lack of offensive support.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best