Jun 27, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
BALTIMORE — Craig Stammen is the likeliest candidate to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to start Tuesday night in Atlanta.
Stammen, who was optioned to Syracuse earlier this month to make room for Stephen Strasburg's arrival, has righted his ship in the minors. In three starts with the Chiefs, he is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA, having allowed only one run over his last 13 2/3 innings.
The right-hander also lines up well to slide into the spot in the Nationals' rotation made available when John Lannan was demoted to Class AA Harrisburg last week. Stammen could start Tuesday on five days' rest, making him a more likely choice than left-hander Matt Chico (who is 4-5 with a 3.36 ERA in the minors this season but just pitched on Friday and would have to come back on short rest to start Tuesday against the Braves).
Manager Jim Riggleman said prior to today's series finale against the Orioles that the Nats have settled on Tuesday's starter. They won't announce the move until tomorrow, though, because they first have to select a player (most likely a reliever) to remove from the roster.
Ross Detwiler, who is expected to join the big-league rotation at some point this summer, still isn't ready according to organizational sources. The left-hander, who missed the season's first two monthsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today