Jun 27, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
BALTIMORE — Craig Stammen is the likeliest candidate to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to start Tuesday night in Atlanta.
Stammen, who was optioned to Syracuse earlier this month to make room for Stephen Strasburg's arrival, has righted his ship in the minors. In three starts with the Chiefs, he is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA, having allowed only one run over his last 13 2/3 innings.
The right-hander also lines up well to slide into the spot in the Nationals' rotation made available when John Lannan was demoted to Class AA Harrisburg last week. Stammen could start Tuesday on five days' rest, making him a more likely choice than left-hander Matt Chico (who is 4-5 with a 3.36 ERA in the minors this season but just pitched on Friday and would have to come back on short rest to start Tuesday against the Braves).
Manager Jim Riggleman said prior to today's series finale against the Orioles that the Nats have settled on Tuesday's starter. They won't announce the move until tomorrow, though, because they first have to select a player (most likely a reliever) to remove from the roster.
Ross Detwiler, who is expected to join the big-league rotation at some point this summer, still isn't ready according to organizational sources. The left-hander, who missed the season's first two monthsRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other