Jun 27, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
BALTIMORE — Craig Stammen is the likeliest candidate to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to start Tuesday night in Atlanta.
Stammen, who was optioned to Syracuse earlier this month to make room for Stephen Strasburg's arrival, has righted his ship in the minors. In three starts with the Chiefs, he is 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA, having allowed only one run over his last 13 2/3 innings.
The right-hander also lines up well to slide into the spot in the Nationals' rotation made available when John Lannan was demoted to Class AA Harrisburg last week. Stammen could start Tuesday on five days' rest, making him a more likely choice than left-hander Matt Chico (who is 4-5 with a 3.36 ERA in the minors this season but just pitched on Friday and would have to come back on short rest to start Tuesday against the Braves).
Manager Jim Riggleman said prior to today's series finale against the Orioles that the Nats have settled on Tuesday's starter. They won't announce the move until tomorrow, though, because they first have to select a player (most likely a reliever) to remove from the roster.
Ross Detwiler, who is expected to join the big-league rotation at some point this summer, still isn't ready according to organizational sources. The left-hander, who missed the season's first two monthsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2