Jun 28, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
Good morning, NatsTown. At least, I hope it's a good morning for all of you considering the events of the past three days in Baltimore.
I'm at Dulles, waiting for my flight to Atlanta — great matchup tonight between Stephen Strasburg and Tim Hudson — so I don't have time to put together a comprehensive morning post. But I did want to broach one subject: Whether it's time for someone inside the Nationals' clubhouse to speak up and whip everyone into shape.
I asked several players about this after yesterday's loss, and the opinion was unanimous: No, there's no need for a team meeting or anything like that. Yet.
The thinking among players is that such closed-door meetings are necessary if there's clearly an issue with effort. No one believes that's an issue right now. If it does become an issue, then a players-only meeting might need to happen.
One question I'd have, though, is this: What player would take charge in such a situation? In other words, who is the leader of this team? It's not in Ryan Zimmerman's personality to do it. Same for Adam Dunn, Adam Kennedy and Cristian Guzman. Ian Desmond seems like the type who might be a vocal leader, but not at this early stage of his career.
The likeliest (and maybe only) choice seems to be Ivan Rodriguez. He's been praised by former managers and teammates as a leader,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series