Jun 29, 2010, 11:20 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Mike Rizzo sees the 19 errors Ian Desmond has made in the first half of his rookie season. He sees the other mistakes Desmond has made in the field that don’t show up as errors.
Rizzo, though, knew this was likely to happen when the Nationals gave Desmond the starting job at the end of spring training, and he’s willing to live with it because of what he thinks Desmond can become in the future.
“He’s a young major-league shortstop,” the GM said last night after Desmond’s crucial error kept Stephen Strasburg from perhaps escaping the seventh inning. “And the best thing about young major-league shortstops is that they become second-year major-league shortstops.”
Desmond is not in the lineup tonight, but as you’ll read on CSNwashington.com, the Nationals remain confident in the 24-year-old to be their long-term answer at shortstop.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games
- Instant analysis: Nats 6, Marlins 3
- Nationals face dominant Fernandez in series finale
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper's heating up
- Strasburg’s poor outing continues troubling early season trend
- Strasburg's rough outing (VIDEO)
- Stephen Strasburg surrenders six in loss to Miami
- Braves fan trolls Nats with Wikipedia page entry (PHOTO)