Jun 29, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond has committed a major-league-leading 19 errors already this season.
ATLANTA — The day began with a closed-door meeting, convened by the manager who had a few thoughts he needed to get off his chest, bolstered by the words of a few players who spoke up themselves.
It ended with a 5-0 loss to the Braves that was in some ways even more gut-wrenching than the four losses that preceded it, all of them crushing on their own merits.
These are trying times for the Nationals, who are finding all sorts of manner in which to lose ballgames. Sometimes they get no offense. Sometimes they score early but can't keep it up. Sometimes they get poor starting pitching. Sometimes their bullpen blows it. And plenty of times lately, they've given away games via wretched glovework, as was the case once again last night.
"We're all agonizing," Jim Riggleman said. "We're all going through a really tough time, one of the tougher times that I've been through. I've been fortunate enough to manage in the big leagues. This is one of the tougher stretches I've experienced. … Our character is getting tested, and our guys have to pass the test."
But how much longer will the guys on this roster be given the chance to pass this critical test?
From every corner of NatsTown, fans are clamoring for change of some kind, especially some kind of change that would address the majors' worst defense. Mike Rizzo, though, made it pretty clear after last night's loss those types of moves are unlikely at this stage.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?