Jun 29, 2010, 2:55 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Walker said his shoulder had been bothering him for almost two weeks.
ATLANTA — The Nationals placed reliever Tyler Walker on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation following tonight's game, clearing space for Craig Stammen to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and start tomorrow's game against the Braves.
Walker, who hadn't pitched in nine days, said he first began feeling shoulder pain during a multiple-inning appearance June 15 in Detroit. "The next day I could barely lift my arm," he said.
An MRI revealed inflammation of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder, but no structural damage. He's due to fly home to Washington tomorrow to receive a cortisone shot. The club believes he'll be ready to return after the minimum 15 days of DL time are complete.
"It's a bit begrudgingly that I do it," the 34-year-old said. "But it's an opportunity to get it feeling good for the rest of the season. That's the main goal: Get back out there as soon as possible."
Walker is 1-0 with a 3.57 ERA in 24 relief appearances this season, most of them coming with the Nationals trailing. He posted a 1.29 ERA over his last 10 games, holding opponents to a .224 battingRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen