Jun 29, 2010, 2:55 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Walker said his shoulder had been bothering him for almost two weeks.
ATLANTA — The Nationals placed reliever Tyler Walker on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation following tonight's game, clearing space for Craig Stammen to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and start tomorrow's game against the Braves.
Walker, who hadn't pitched in nine days, said he first began feeling shoulder pain during a multiple-inning appearance June 15 in Detroit. "The next day I could barely lift my arm," he said.
An MRI revealed inflammation of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder, but no structural damage. He's due to fly home to Washington tomorrow to receive a cortisone shot. The club believes he'll be ready to return after the minimum 15 days of DL time are complete.
"It's a bit begrudgingly that I do it," the 34-year-old said. "But it's an opportunity to get it feeling good for the rest of the season. That's the main goal: Get back out there as soon as possible."
Walker is 1-0 with a 3.57 ERA in 24 relief appearances this season, most of them coming with the Nationals trailing. He posted a 1.29 ERA over his last 10 games, holding opponents to a .224 battingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants