Jun 30, 2010, 2:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Alberto Gonzalez has filled in admirably around the infield when called upon.
ATLANTA — Alberto Gonzalez, being a native Venezuelan who struggles with English and being a rarely used backup infielder for the Nationals, doesn't often get interviewed. I think I've talked to him twice this year, one of those times coming last night when he roped four hits to help pace a 7-2 win over the Braves.
It's at times like this that I truly wish I had taken more Spanish in college. It's never fair that Spanish-speaking ballplayers get less press than those who speak English, and I wouldn't be surprised if Alberto has some very interesting things to say and has a story worth telling. Unfortunately, when Gonzalez does have a game like he did last night, we're left to conduct an awkward interview that surely doesn't give this player the chance to enjoy his moment in the spotlight as much as he deserves.
Here, though, is the quote from Gonzalez that best describes his emotions after what may have been the best game of his career: "I'm so happy. I'm happy to play three days in a row."
Indeed, the mere fact Jim Riggleman penciled his name in the lineup on three consecutive days was reason for Gonzalez to rejoice. This is a guy, after all, who had started only eight of the Nats' first 75 games this season (five of them during an April stretch when Ryan Zimmerman was battling hamstring injuries). So three straight startsRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?
- Report: Marlins showing strong interest in LaRoche
- Nats minor league coordinator Beasley leaves for Rangers
- Former Nats RP Duke gets paid after career turnaround
- Braves to meet with top free agent Jon Lester