Jun 30, 2010, 3:50 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn congratulates Alberto Gonzalez upon scoring in the fifth.
ATLANTA — Could you see it, feel it, hear it, the moment Tyler Clippard struck out Yunel Escobar to end tonight's game?
Yes, that was a tangible sigh of relief emanating from the Nationals' dugout. Rest easy, everyone. They've won a ballgame again.
Actually, the Nats did more than win a ballgame tonight. They won an incredibly well-played ballgame against a top opponent. Few victories this season can match this 7-2 triumph over the Braves for sheer execution top-to-bottom. Amazingly, this was only the sixth time this year they won a game by five or more runs.
"That's about as clean a game as we've played in a while," Jim Riggleman said, adding: "It's encouraging to remind ourselves that we can play like that."
Everyone needs a little reminder once in a while, especially when the last week had been so trying. It wasn't just the fact the Nationals had lost five in a row. They've been through longer losing streaks before. It was the manner in which they lost those five games. Four of them by one run. Three of them blown leads in Baltimore. Monday's seventh-inning meltdown with Stephen Strasburg on the mound.
If ever the Nats needed a game like this, tonight was the night.
"I don't think we ever felt pressure," Ryan Zimmerman said. "It sucks losing four or five or however many in a row. Whether we've won five in a row or lost five in a row, I think we have the same amount ofRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres