Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 PM EST
ATLANTA — When the Nationals signed Chien-Ming Wang at the start of spring training, club officials hoped the right-hander would be ready to return from a major shoulder injury sometime in May. Once the regular season began and Wang was placed on the 60-day disabled list, the timetable for his return shifted to June. Somewhere along the way, that became July.
But as the calendar shifts to a new month, Wang still is nowhere close to pitching in the major leagues. He continues to throw live batting practice at the Nationals’ spring complex in Viera, Fla., but still must progress to throw in simulated games, then in the minor leagues before he’ll return to the big leagues.
Though the timetable keeps getting pushed back, the Nats insist Wang hasn’t experienced any setbacks along the way. The problem, according to Mike Rizzo, is that there is no precedent for a baseball player returning from the complicated surgery (repairing a torn ligament in the shoulder capsule) he underwent last summer.
Read Rizzo’s comments and a full update on Wang on CSNwashington.com.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?