Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 PM EDT
ATLANTA — When the Nationals signed Chien-Ming Wang at the start of spring training, club officials hoped the right-hander would be ready to return from a major shoulder injury sometime in May. Once the regular season began and Wang was placed on the 60-day disabled list, the timetable for his return shifted to June. Somewhere along the way, that became July.
But as the calendar shifts to a new month, Wang still is nowhere close to pitching in the major leagues. He continues to throw live batting practice at the Nationals’ spring complex in Viera, Fla., but still must progress to throw in simulated games, then in the minor leagues before he’ll return to the big leagues.
Though the timetable keeps getting pushed back, the Nats insist Wang hasn’t experienced any setbacks along the way. The problem, according to Mike Rizzo, is that there is no precedent for a baseball player returning from the complicated surgery (repairing a torn ligament in the shoulder capsule) he underwent last summer.
Read Rizzo’s comments and a full update on Wang on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?