Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 PM EDT
ATLANTA — When the Nationals signed Chien-Ming Wang at the start of spring training, club officials hoped the right-hander would be ready to return from a major shoulder injury sometime in May. Once the regular season began and Wang was placed on the 60-day disabled list, the timetable for his return shifted to June. Somewhere along the way, that became July.
But as the calendar shifts to a new month, Wang still is nowhere close to pitching in the major leagues. He continues to throw live batting practice at the Nationals’ spring complex in Viera, Fla., but still must progress to throw in simulated games, then in the minor leagues before he’ll return to the big leagues.
Though the timetable keeps getting pushed back, the Nats insist Wang hasn’t experienced any setbacks along the way. The problem, according to Mike Rizzo, is that there is no precedent for a baseball player returning from the complicated surgery (repairing a torn ligament in the shoulder capsule) he underwent last summer.
Read Rizzo’s comments and a full update on Wang on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market