Jul 1, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Elijah Dukes, out of baseball since the Nationals released him during spring training, has signed with the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League.
Since his surprising release on March 17, Dukes had been looking for an opportunity to play elsewhere. No other major-league organization was willing to take a chance on the 26-year-old with declining offensive numbers and a shaky reputation around the sport, so he ultimately settled on a Newark club that has boasted a number of prominent former big-leaguers over the years.
Dukes will be joining a Bears roster that already includes Carl Everett and Daryle Ward.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?