Jul 1, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
Elijah Dukes, out of baseball since the Nationals released him during spring training, has signed with the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League.
Since his surprising release on March 17, Dukes had been looking for an opportunity to play elsewhere. No other major-league organization was willing to take a chance on the 26-year-old with declining offensive numbers and a shaky reputation around the sport, so he ultimately settled on a Newark club that has boasted a number of prominent former big-leaguers over the years.
Dukes will be joining a Bears roster that already includes Carl Everett and Daryle Ward.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl