Jul 1, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Elijah Dukes, out of baseball since the Nationals released him during spring training, has signed with the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League.
Since his surprising release on March 17, Dukes had been looking for an opportunity to play elsewhere. No other major-league organization was willing to take a chance on the 26-year-old with declining offensive numbers and a shaky reputation around the sport, so he ultimately settled on a Newark club that has boasted a number of prominent former big-leaguers over the years.
Dukes will be joining a Bears roster that already includes Carl Everett and Daryle Ward.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight