Jul 1, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
Elijah Dukes, out of baseball since the Nationals released him during spring training, has signed with the Newark Bears of the independent Atlantic League.
Since his surprising release on March 17, Dukes had been looking for an opportunity to play elsewhere. No other major-league organization was willing to take a chance on the 26-year-old with declining offensive numbers and a shaky reputation around the sport, so he ultimately settled on a Newark club that has boasted a number of prominent former big-leaguers over the years.
Dukes will be joining a Bears roster that already includes Carl Everett and Daryle Ward.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen
- Roark, Ramos lead Nationals past Cubs 2-1