Jul 1, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will make two more starts before the All-Star break: Saturday against the Mets, then Friday, July 9 against the Giants. What happens after that remains a mystery.
Will Strasburg pitch in Anaheim against the American League All-Stars on July 13? If so, will it be because Charlie Manuel selected him for the National League roster or because fans got the chance to pick him as part of the "Last Man" vote?
And then, when will the rookie phenom pitch coming out of the break?
Here's what we know for now: Strasburg makes his sixth career start Saturday against New York (4 p.m. on Fox). On Sunday, All-Star rosters will be announced, so we'll learn whether Manuel has included the 21-year-old on his pitching staff.
Jim Riggleman has suggested all along he doesn't think it would be appropriate for Strasburg to make the squad, considering his lack of time in the majors. Today, though, the manager did acknowledge an understanding why Manuel might be justified in doing it.
"There are some consequences of winning or losing the game now that weren't there before," Riggleman said. "It's not just the honor of being there. There's an importance to winning the game now: So your league gets home-field advantage in the World Series. …
"My initial sentiments are that people who have been here the whole time should get that recognition. But if you've done some great things, and winning the game is important, then you can make a caseRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?