Jul 2, 2010, 10:14 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed veteran right-hander Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez to a minor-league contract, according to two club sources.
Hernandez, the 44-year-old half-brother of Nats starter Livan Hernandez, will report to the organization's spring complex in Viera, Fla., to begin working out. He may wind up pitching at Class AAA Syracuse at some point this season.
A prize Cuban refugee who signed with the Yankees in 1998 and went on to post a 90-65 record and 4.13 ERA in nine seasons with four different teams, Hernandez has not pitched in the major leagues since 2007, when he went 9-5 with a 3.72 ERA for the Mets. He underwent foot surgery that offseason and then required toe surgery the following year. He wound up pitching eight games in relief for the Rangers' Class AAA club last summer but was released after Texas officials determined he wouldn't be promoted.
The Hernandez half-brothers briefly were teammates in Montreal during the spring of 2003, but Orlando tore his rotator cuff before ever throwing a pitch for the Expos. Livan is currently enjoying a niceRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury