Jul 2, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
Here's some encouraging news about one of several injured Nationals pitchers, this one actually taking a significant step in his recovery: Jordan Zimmermann will make his first rehab start tomorrow night for Class A Potomac.
Zimmermann, who had Tommy John surgery last August, is slated to throw two innings against Wilmington at Pfitzner Stadium. It's the right-hander's first appearance in an actual game since he faced the Cubs on July 18, 2009, after which he was shut down with elbow pain.
The Nationals have had to hold Zimmermann back some in his rehabilitation, not wanting to push him to return sooner than the 12-month period generally reserved for pitchers coming off elbow ligament replacement surgery. He will likely spend the full allotment of 30 days on the rehab assignment. By the beginning of August, the Nats will have to decide whether he's ready to pitch in the majors or whether to option him back to the minors for some more seasoning first.
Zimmermann, 24, was a second-round draft pick in 2007 from Division III Wisconsin-Stevens Point, but he quickly became the organization's top pitching prospect. In 16 starts last season beforeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins