Jul 2, 2010, 2:55 PM EDT
Here's some encouraging news about one of several injured Nationals pitchers, this one actually taking a significant step in his recovery: Jordan Zimmermann will make his first rehab start tomorrow night for Class A Potomac.
Zimmermann, who had Tommy John surgery last August, is slated to throw two innings against Wilmington at Pfitzner Stadium. It's the right-hander's first appearance in an actual game since he faced the Cubs on July 18, 2009, after which he was shut down with elbow pain.
The Nationals have had to hold Zimmermann back some in his rehabilitation, not wanting to push him to return sooner than the 12-month period generally reserved for pitchers coming off elbow ligament replacement surgery. He will likely spend the full allotment of 30 days on the rehab assignment. By the beginning of August, the Nats will have to decide whether he's ready to pitch in the majors or whether to option him back to the minors for some more seasoning first.
Zimmermann, 24, was a second-round draft pick in 2007 from Division III Wisconsin-Stevens Point, but he quickly became the organization's top pitching prospect. In 16 starts last season beforeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes