Jul 3, 2010, 3:32 AM EDT
Photo courtesy George Burkes
Michael Morse couldn't grab Alex Cora's three-run triple in the fourth.
Jim Riggleman could only say this will be "a learning experience" for Roger Bernadina. And really, what else could the Nationals manager say after his rookie right fielder ended tonight's 5-3 loss to the Mets by getting picked off second base with Willie Harris at the plate representing the winning run and facing a two-out, full-count pitch from Francisco Rodriguez?
Has anyone ever seen a game end with a pickoff like that?
"That's a good question," Riggleman said. "I don't know if I've seen one end that way. It's painful. But they made a great play and they got him."
Pretty much everyone inside the Nationals' clubhouse was at a loss for words at the end of the latest frustrating loss in a ever-lengthening stretch of them. There was plenty of dead time over the course of 2 hours and 56 minutes on South Capitol Street, but a handful of crucial plays wound up determining the outcome of this one. Had those playsRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies