Jul 3, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Kennedy is at second base today and should be there more moving forward.
When the Nationals broke camp in Viera, Fla., three months ago, Jim Riggleman's plan was to use Ian Desmond and Adam Kennedy as his regular starting middle infield, with Cristian Guzman filling in at both spots as a reserve.
Somewhere along the way, the plan changed. Desmond became the everyday shortstop and Guzman became the regular second baseman, leaving Kennedy rotting on the bench. When the veteran did play, he struggled at the plate and in the field.
So today, Riggleman made it clear he intends to go back to the original plan. Kennedy is in the lineup starting at second base against the Mets, and he figures to get significantly more time there moving forward.
"Earlier in the year, we were winning more games when that rotation there was more involved," Riggleman said. "I kind of fell into the trap. When Cristian Guzman was just tearing the cover off the ball, it just became too hard not to put him in there. And when I did that, IRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge