Jul 3, 2010, 6:57 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Kennedy is at second base today and should be there more moving forward.
When the Nationals broke camp in Viera, Fla., three months ago, Jim Riggleman's plan was to use Ian Desmond and Adam Kennedy as his regular starting middle infield, with Cristian Guzman filling in at both spots as a reserve.
Somewhere along the way, the plan changed. Desmond became the everyday shortstop and Guzman became the regular second baseman, leaving Kennedy rotting on the bench. When the veteran did play, he struggled at the plate and in the field.
So today, Riggleman made it clear he intends to go back to the original plan. Kennedy is in the lineup starting at second base against the Mets, and he figures to get significantly more time there moving forward.
"Earlier in the year, we were winning more games when that rotation there was more involved," Riggleman said. "I kind of fell into the trap. When Cristian Guzman was just tearing the cover off the ball, it just became too hard not to put him in there. And when I did that, IRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense