Jul 4, 2010, 2:10 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ivan Rodriguez’s game-winning single set off a wild celebration.
Stephen Strasburg has been the center of attention inside the Nationals’ clubhouse from the moment he arrived, and deservedly so. The rookie right-hander has accomplished more in his first four weeks in the big leagues than just about any other pitcher in baseball history.
All along, Strasburg has tried to deflect the attention to his teammates, insisting they are more worthy of it than a 21-year-old with so little service time. But over his last three starts, the rest of the Nationals had done virtually nothing to support Strasburg, providing him with one run of support that resulted in three straight losses.
Just when it looked like the same story would be written once again today, with Strasburg battling to keep his team in the game but everyone else flailing away at the plate against the opposing pitcher, it finally happened. The Nats as a team overshadowed Strasburg as an individual with a ninth-inning rally to remember.
With three hits and three walks in a span of seven batters against Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez — and with one moment of near-disaster thrown into the mix as well — the Nats turned a 5-3 deficit into a 6-5 victory that was as satisfying to everyone inside Nationals Park as any Strasburg outing.
“Today was a reminder of why baseball is so great,” reliever Drew Storen said.
Read the full recap of today’s remarkable game on CSNwashington.com.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club