Jul 4, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps, dumped by the Pirates in December, is now an All-Star with the Nats.
[UPDATED AT 5:57 P.M.]
Matt Capps arrived in Washington in December determined to prove the Pittsburgh Pirates made a collosal mistake by not tendering him a contract. On Sunday, he solidified that case with definitive proof of his worth: A spot on the All-Star team.
Capps, not rookie Stephen Strasburg, was selected to represent the Nationals in Anaheim next week, chosen by his peers after an impressive first half that included 22 saves.
"That's what you play for. You play to be the best," the right-hander said. "To be recognized for it is extra special."
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who was tasked with naming the final 10 members of his National League roster, said he did give strong consideration to Strasburg. Ultimately, the 21-year-old's lack of experience — he's 2-2 with a 2.45 ERA in six big-league starts — overshadowed his dominance and celebrity.
"He is going to be an All-Star for a long time," Manuel said during the All-Star Selection Show on TBS. "What does he have, [six] starts? I just felt there are other guys who have started 18 to 20 games. I justRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions