Jul 4, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps, dumped by the Pirates in December, is now an All-Star with the Nats.
[UPDATED AT 5:57 P.M.]
Matt Capps arrived in Washington in December determined to prove the Pittsburgh Pirates made a collosal mistake by not tendering him a contract. On Sunday, he solidified that case with definitive proof of his worth: A spot on the All-Star team.
Capps, not rookie Stephen Strasburg, was selected to represent the Nationals in Anaheim next week, chosen by his peers after an impressive first half that included 22 saves.
"That's what you play for. You play to be the best," the right-hander said. "To be recognized for it is extra special."
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who was tasked with naming the final 10 members of his National League roster, said he did give strong consideration to Strasburg. Ultimately, the 21-year-old's lack of experience — he's 2-2 with a 2.45 ERA in six big-league starts — overshadowed his dominance and celebrity.
"He is going to be an All-Star for a long time," Manuel said during the All-Star Selection Show on TBS. "What does he have, [six] starts? I just felt there are other guys who have started 18 to 20 games. I justRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups