Jul 4, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps, dumped by the Pirates in December, is now an All-Star with the Nats.
[UPDATED AT 5:57 P.M.]
Matt Capps arrived in Washington in December determined to prove the Pittsburgh Pirates made a collosal mistake by not tendering him a contract. On Sunday, he solidified that case with definitive proof of his worth: A spot on the All-Star team.
Capps, not rookie Stephen Strasburg, was selected to represent the Nationals in Anaheim next week, chosen by his peers after an impressive first half that included 22 saves.
"That's what you play for. You play to be the best," the right-hander said. "To be recognized for it is extra special."
Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who was tasked with naming the final 10 members of his National League roster, said he did give strong consideration to Strasburg. Ultimately, the 21-year-old's lack of experience — he's 2-2 with a 2.45 ERA in six big-league starts — overshadowed his dominance and celebrity.
"He is going to be an All-Star for a long time," Manuel said during the All-Star Selection Show on TBS. "What does he have, [six] starts? I just felt there are other guys who have started 18 to 20 games. I justRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff