Jul 5, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Even at his worst, Stephen Strasburg has been really good.
Now that we know Stephen Strasburg won't be going to Anaheim next week for the All-Star Game — a resolution that, honestly, is probably best for everyone involved — we can get back to his development as a pitcher for the Nationals.
Over his last three starts, we've seen opposing hitters begin to get to the rookie right-hander just a bit. After allowing 10 hits in his first 19 1/3 big-league innings, he's now allowed 19 hits in his last 17 1/3 innings. And on Sunday, he labored as much as he has in any of his six starts, lasting only five innings against the Mets after reaching a lofty pitch count of 96.
Did New York's lineup — a veteran group that includes David Wright, Jason Bay and Jeff Francoeur — figure something out about Strasburg? Those batters seemed to work the count more than previous clubs did, leading to a 37-pitch first inning that all but ensured a short afternoon for the 21-year-old.
Actually, the Mets insisted that wasn't the plan of attack going in.
"It was just evident from the start that he wasn't getting ahead," Bay said inside the New York clubhouse after the game. "We were talking about it early that you're doing yourself a disservice if you're just trying to get the pitch count up and he's firing strike one in thereRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base