Jul 6, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Matt Capps' trade value will never be higher than it is now.
Matt Capps is going to get a lot of attention for the next week, and deserves some time in the spotlight. After an incredibly difficult 2009 both professionally and personally, he has enjoyed a fantastic first half with the Nationals and has become one of the most well-liked players inside the clubhouse.
Teammates, coaches and others were genuinely happy for Capps when he learned he'd made his first All-Star roster on Sunday. You can debate whether he was the Nats player most worthy of the selection — and yes, guys like Ryan Zimmerman, Josh Willingham and Tyler Clippard probably had a stronger case — but you can't debate what he's meant to this team since arriving last winter.
Which makes this difficult, but necessary, to say: The Nationals need to seriously think about trading Capps before the end of the month.
Trade away one of the most-successful closers in the majors? Trade away the cornerstone of one of the best relief trios in baseball? Trade away a guy who will still be under the Nats' control next season?
Yes, if the offer is right, for one primary reason: Capps' value will never be higher than it is right now.
This is a guy, let's remember, who wasn't tendered a contract by the Pirates in December. Now, that decision was mostly a financial one, but it's not as if dozens of teams were banging on Capps' doorRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper