Jul 6, 2010, 11:32 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg heard — and was flattered by — all the talk about his possible All-Star candidacy. In the end, though, the rookie ace didn’t believe he deserved that honor only six starts into his big-league career.
“I really didn’t feel like I was qualified to make the team … based on how much experience I have,” Strasburg said before tonight’s game against the Padres. “I’m sure I’ll have opportunities somewhere down the road. But right now, it was never a goal of mine.”
Read more All-Star quotes from Strasburg, and about the Nats’ plan to team up with the Rangers in an attempt to get both Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Young voted in as the final men on each league’s roster, on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug