Jul 7, 2010, 3:58 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ryan Zimmerman is mobbed at the plate following his game-winning homer.
Ryan Zimmerman cringes every time the label is attached to his name. "Face of the Franchise." He's been tagged with that title practically from the moment he was drafted way back in 2005, and he's always been reluctant to play along with it.
And when Stephen Strasburg arrived on the scene with a flourish last month and suddenly became the most-recognizable face on the Nationals' roster, Zimmerman perhaps thought his reign was over and the wealth could finally be spread among other worthy candidates inside the Washington clubhouse.
Don't fool yourself. Ryan Zimmerman still is — and will remain — the Face of the Franchise. If you needed to be reminded of that, just consider the events of the last 72 hours.
It began Sunday afternoon when, with his team down eight runs, Zimmerman ignited a near-comeback. He crushed a three-run homer, added an RBI single and another base hit over the final four innings. And it continued tonight, when he reached base four times, homered in the fourth, doubled in the sixth and then sealed a 6-5 victory with aRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon