Jul 7, 2010, 11:41 PM EDT
The Nationals, ever cautious about Stephen Strasburg’s workload, are formulating a pitching plan for the rookie right-hander that likely will result in an early-September shutdown.
The Nats originally hoped to extend Strasburg through the end of the season. But after meeting the last few days to map out a plan for the season’s second half, Jim Riggleman, Steve McCatty and Mike Rizzo came to the conclusion Strasburg would be better-suited staying on a regular schedule. Even if it means he’ll reach his predetermined innings limit of 160 one month before season’s end.
Read what Riggleman had to say about that, plus when (and where) Strasburg is expected to make his second-half debut, on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins