Jul 7, 2010, 3:50 PM EDT
Photo by Rachel Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Tyler Clippard has put 18 men on base in his last 5 2/3 innings.
There was arguably no relief pitcher in baseball more dominant over the first half of the season than Tyler Clippard. And there has arguably been no relief pitcher in baseball less effective over the last two weeks than Clippard, who again struggled last night in helping blow a 5-2 lead in the eighth inning.
Summoned by Jim Riggleman after Livan Hernandez allowed back-to-back singles to open the eighth, Clippard added fuel to the fire by allowing two more singles and a sacrifice fly. That prompted Riggleman to turn to Sean Burnett, who nearly got out of the jam by getting Oscar Salazar to hit a routine double play grounder to second, only to watch as Cristian Guzman and Ian Desmond botched the turn, allowing the tying run to score.
So the lone run charged to Clippard last night was of the unearned variety, though it's not like he could take credit for performing all that well. If anything, this was a continuation of a disturbing trend for the right-hander, who is suddenly putting men on base at a staggering rate.
From Opening Day through June 22, Clippard allowed 47 opposing batters to reach base in 45 2/3 innings. But in six appearances since then, he's allowed a staggering 18 batters to reach in only 5 2/3 innings. He's also allowed 10 runs (seven earned), raising his ERARead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager