Jul 8, 2010, 9:16 PM EDT
Jordan Zimmermann turned in another impressive showing in his second rehab start earlier today.
Starting once again for Class A Potomac, Zimmermann tossed three scoreless innings at Frederick, allowing one hit with five strikeouts and no walks. He threw 45 pitches, 30 for strikes, in the next step in the right-hander’s recovery from major elbow surgery.
Zimmermann, who had Tommy John surgery last August, has yet to surrender a run in five rehab innings with Potomac. He also hasn’t walked a batter, though he did hit one during today’s game.
The Nationals haven’t announced plans yet for Zimmermann’s next outing, though he’ll be scheduled to pitch four innings whenever and wherever the start takes place. If he continues to progress as hoped, the 24-year-old figures to come off the 60-day disabled list and join the Nats’ rotation sometime in August.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season