Jul 8, 2010, 3:55 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn has his eyes on a contract extension with the Nationals.
As the small-but-enthusiastic crowd of 13,762 stood and cheered until Adam Dunn emerged from the dugout to doff his helmet, you couldn't help but think to yourself: Why on earth would the Nationals not want to re-sign this guy right now?
Seriously, how many other players in baseball could do what Dunn did tonight in the Nats' 7-6 win over the Padres? Three home runs. Two of them opposite-field shots. The other a solo blast off a tough left-handed reliever.
That's three homers, five RBI and about 1,200 feet of home runs in less than three hours.
"That's what he can do," Ryan Zimmerman said. "He's one of, if not the best power guys in the game the last five, six years. It's good to have him on your team."
So why does Dunn's name keep cropping up in trade rumors? And why haven't the Nationals quashed any talk of a deal by locking him up right now to a contract extension?
Because, even though Dunn wants to stay and the Nats want to keep him, it's not as simple as it sounds. The problem is that no one can seem to decide just how much Dunn is worth.
On the one hand, you're looking at a guy who has established himself as a guaranteed 40-homer, 100-RBI, 110-walk player every season. He's surpassed or come awfully close to those numbers each of theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?