Jul 8, 2010, 10:02 PM EDT
The results of MLB's "Final Man" vote were just announced, and Ryan Zimmerman wound up losing out to Reds first baseman Joey Votto for a spot in the All-Star Game.
Zimmerman, who made a strong push by going 8-for-13 with three homers since learning Sunday he was among the contenders for the All-Star roster spot, finished second out of four finalists (the list originally included five players, but Padres closer Heath Bell was already added to the National League's bullpen yesterday as a replacement for injured Brewers right-hander Yovani Gallardo.
Votto, who leads the NL in home runs, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS, was selected by fans around the country who had until 4 p.m. today to vote online.
"He's one of the best players of the first half, and I think he deserves to be there," Zimmerman said. "I think he shouldn't even have been on the ballot. He should be the starter at first base."
The Nationals made a strong public push the last two days for Zimmerman, creating an "alliance" with the Rangers, who agreed toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery