Jul 9, 2010, 9:57 PM EDT
The Nationals have optioned right-hander Luis Atilano to Class AAA Syracuse, a move made to give the club an extra position player until the fifth starter's spot comes back up July 20.
Atilano, who is 6-6 with a 4.85 ERA in 15 starts, allowed four runs and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings last night and was charged with the loss against the Padres. He was told his demotion will only be temporary and that he'll be recalled in time to start the Nationals' fifth game coming out of the All-Star break (July 20 at Cincinnati).
In the meantime, Atilano will start Thursday for Syracuse, with an emphasis on refining the breaking ball that betrayed him during last night's outing. That will leave him on schedule to rejoin the Nats' rotation five days later.
"Definitely I'm going to work on getting my breaking stuff the right way," he said. "Hopefully I find it down there in one start or two,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch