Jul 9, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
Forget about those plans to try to stretch out Stephen Strasburg's remaining innings through late-September. The Nationals have decided to keep the rookie ace on a regular schedule coming out of the All-Star break and ride him until he reaches his innings limit for the season, even if that occurs in late-August.
Manager Jim Riggleman announced this afternoon that Strasburg will start the Nats' first game coming out of the break (July 16 at the Marlins). He'll then stay on a regular, five-game schedule, just like everyone else in the rotation.
"The whole thought early-on was that we would stretch him out, with [extra] days between quite often, so that he would pitch through September," Riggleman said. "We've decided not to do that, to just pitch him. And when the innings are done, they're done. If that falls at the end of August or early September, that will be it."
Strasburg, whose combined innings count between the majors and minors sits at 92 entering tonight's start against the Giants, will be limited to about 160 total innings by season's end.
So Strasburg's scheduled starts for the next month look like this…*Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch