Jul 10, 2010, 4:15 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg’s best performance in a month resulted in his third win.
Stephen Strasburg threw 17 pitches (eight strikes) in his first inning on the mound tonight. Four of those strikes were tagged by the Giants, one of them ricocheting off the facing of the second deck down the right-field line at Nationals Park. Clearly, San Francisco’s hitters felt like they knew what they were doing against the rookie pitching sensation and had reason to believe they could keep it up all night.
Somewhere between the first and second innings, though, Strasburg came to an important realization, something perhaps he should have realized in recent weeks as opposing hitters began to look more and more comfortable against him.
He wasn’t pitching to his strengths, wasn’t confident in what he was throwing the way he used to be in college. It was time to get back to that form.
“After that [first inning] I was like, ‘You know what? If they’re going to beat me, they’re going to beat me on me calling my own game,'” Strasburg said. “I was just putting it all on my shoulders, and I have to do that from now on.”
Read more about Strasburg’s important mental adjustment and Adam Dunn’s hot streak at the plate on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip