Jul 10, 2010, 4:15 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg’s best performance in a month resulted in his third win.
Stephen Strasburg threw 17 pitches (eight strikes) in his first inning on the mound tonight. Four of those strikes were tagged by the Giants, one of them ricocheting off the facing of the second deck down the right-field line at Nationals Park. Clearly, San Francisco’s hitters felt like they knew what they were doing against the rookie pitching sensation and had reason to believe they could keep it up all night.
Somewhere between the first and second innings, though, Strasburg came to an important realization, something perhaps he should have realized in recent weeks as opposing hitters began to look more and more comfortable against him.
He wasn’t pitching to his strengths, wasn’t confident in what he was throwing the way he used to be in college. It was time to get back to that form.
“After that [first inning] I was like, ‘You know what? If they’re going to beat me, they’re going to beat me on me calling my own game,'” Strasburg said. “I was just putting it all on my shoulders, and I have to do that from now on.”
Read more about Strasburg’s important mental adjustment and Adam Dunn’s hot streak at the plate on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent