Jul 10, 2010, 10:14 PM EDT
When Jordan Zimmermann underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow August 19, he immediately wanted to know how long it would be before he could pitch again in the major leagues. Doctors told him the standard recovery time for that major procedure is 12-to-18 months.
Zimmermann immediately established a goal for himself: Make it back by the 12-month mark. And now that he’s pitching effectively in his minor-league rehab assignment and that magical mid-August date is drawing near, the wait has become even more agonizing for the Nationals’ young right-hander.
“I want to get up here pretty bad,” he said today during a visit to Nationals Park. “But I know I’ve got to take my time, and it’s going to be probably another month or so. I’ve got to just take my time and keep building.”
Read more comments from Zimmermann and an update on his upcoming rehab schedule on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win