Jul 10, 2010, 10:14 PM EDT
When Jordan Zimmermann underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow August 19, he immediately wanted to know how long it would be before he could pitch again in the major leagues. Doctors told him the standard recovery time for that major procedure is 12-to-18 months.
Zimmermann immediately established a goal for himself: Make it back by the 12-month mark. And now that he’s pitching effectively in his minor-league rehab assignment and that magical mid-August date is drawing near, the wait has become even more agonizing for the Nationals’ young right-hander.
“I want to get up here pretty bad,” he said today during a visit to Nationals Park. “But I know I’ve got to take my time, and it’s going to be probably another month or so. I’ve got to just take my time and keep building.”
Read more comments from Zimmermann and an update on his upcoming rehab schedule on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager