Jul 10, 2010, 10:14 PM EST
When Jordan Zimmermann underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow August 19, he immediately wanted to know how long it would be before he could pitch again in the major leagues. Doctors told him the standard recovery time for that major procedure is 12-to-18 months.
Zimmermann immediately established a goal for himself: Make it back by the 12-month mark. And now that he’s pitching effectively in his minor-league rehab assignment and that magical mid-August date is drawing near, the wait has become even more agonizing for the Nationals’ young right-hander.
“I want to get up here pretty bad,” he said today during a visit to Nationals Park. “But I know I’ve got to take my time, and it’s going to be probably another month or so. I’ve got to just take my time and keep building.”
Read more comments from Zimmermann and an update on his upcoming rehab schedule on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres